As it nears to the end of the half term it is a weight of my chest to know that I have the majority of the footage we needed already filmed. But I know that some of the hardest work is yet to come, the editing. To truly know how difficult the editing will be I must look at the footage we have. The following are screen shots of some of the footage and what editing I expect will be needed.
Some shots were well lit and nicely in focus which will allow them to be quickly added to the film. Such as the shots below which I think are fairly good on they’re own. However I am considering adding filters across the whole video and cropping the shots into a different aspect ratio so they may have to be altered a little just for consistency across the whole opening.
There also shots where I may change the framing so that the centre of the shot is larger and therefore some of the outside of the shot is cut out. The shots below were part of a sequence through a corridor upstairs where we turned the lights off and did two handheld shots walking through. These were some of my favourite shots from the shooting as they are so clearly from a horror or adventure film and I love the ambient look of the candle and how it flickers. I’m not sure if the private sign will be a problem though as I may take advice on wherever or not it looks out of place. If so I’m sure with enough editing I can remove it from the shot as it is quite small in the frame.
However some shots I believe were a little too dark and may need a lot of experimenting with brightness and contrast along with filters in order to get the most out of the shots. I believe they will still be usable but will need a lot more work than other shots to get them up to feature film quality.
One of the other main processes I’m expecting with the editing is selecting the best shots from what we have and deciding how long each one needs to be. As our opening is meant to be building up tension it may be best to go for less shots for longer rather than an abundance of shots. We tried to film a fair deal of footage which is useful as it gives us room to eliminate poor shots and simply replace them with another, hopefully of a better quality.
One feature we are really pushing to achieve is to have a ‘jump scare’ at the end of the clip. A jump scare is basically what it sounds like, a scare to the audience that makes them jump out of their seat, and is a convention of the horror genre. So as a group we did a little bit of research into how to create an effective jump scare. To do this we did a bit of internet searching and found this blog post which was very useful.
What helped sum up a lot of the post and make sense of how a jump scare works was the graph below.
The graph basically shows how tension will be built up in a scene up to a point where the audience are scared and crucially are expecting a jump. The audience will expect something terrifying to occur at a certain point. However at this stage there is then a relief. It seems that the tension was all for nothing and the tension of the scene decreases. This is then the perfect point at which to scare the audience as it’s when they’re off guard. They thought if there was a shock it would have already happened so to to shock them at this point is unexpected and scares them more than if the relief wasn’t there in the first place.
This jump scare trick could be a fun feature to put into our clip. However it will come down to the editing as to wherever or not it pays off as we need to build a lot of tension first and then make sure the relief is substantial enough to confuse the audience but not long enough so that there is no tension what so ever once the actual scare happens. I’m sure that this is achievable however if we cannot get it to work then I think it would be best to have no attempt at the scare at all rather than a cheap failed attempt.
Overall out of the entire film making process I think I most enjoy editing as you can see the results much quicker which feels more rewarding compared to trying to write a script. Also it’s nice to go back over the footage and feel proud of what you’ve filmed and then try to do something creative with what you have. Also editing is something I can easily just crack on with in solitude which suits me very well.
At this stage of the exercise it’s also relieving to know that we no longer have to worry about getting the cast together, or making sure we have costumes. My stress levels should now start to lower. Now it’s just a month of sitting behind a computer screen till we’re done and I can’t wait. I am optimistic now that we will have a really interesting and unique finished film and the risks we took by making it a victorian sci-fi horror have paid off.